There’s a man who works all day in a small office near the door to ASCI. You can see him anywhere, smiling his __ and proving to everyone that he’s harmless and only there to serve. His name is Mr. Joseph, and if you need anything, he’s the first line of defense after the “help desk,” which rarely lives up to its name. “Sir, Mr. Joseph may know.” “Sir, you should talk to Mr. Joseph.” “Sir, you need to get permission from Mr. Joseph.” “Sir, Mr. Joseph is taking his breakfast.”
And then there’s a man who works next door to Mr. Joseph’s office (which also happens to have two other desks with two other workers on its white floor). This man is the campus’ “administrative officer.” He is known only by his last name (or sir – usually both), and he drives in every day from his house a bit higher on the hill where ASCI itself lies. He pulls into his parking space, and three people await him. One opens his door and allows sir to walk out, one opens the back door and takes sir’s bag to carry in, and the other is there in case sir wants to talk with anyone on his way in. He usually doesn’t.
And the administrative officer enforces some serious rules. First, of course, no guests in rooms. That goes without saying. But, it is sometimes necessary to explain, co-workers on a project that ASCI itself is consulting for, and receives a huge amount of money from, certainly do not constitute an exception to this rule. Nor can such visiting co-workers use the library, which is reserved for the students who occasionally frequent it.
Back when he told me this, I thought the officer pretty damn annoying, and I didn’t think much better of him for graciously offering some of Mr. Joseph’s already cramped space. But over time, I’ve seen a kindness in this man. He stands up for his guests and his students. He enforces stupid rules, yes, but with a lot less rigid than many around him. I just wish he had more courage to stand up to those above him, those I never see.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
So I lost touch with your blog for awhile ('cos hyberbhadhrw is so difficult to spell correctly) but I made it back (via your comment link on Jen's page [yes meiguofeilong is much easier to remember {I really should stop using so many brackets}]) and the first thing I read is about Mr Joseph. On my birthday. Brilliant. I miss you, dude.
alex, excellent post i really really like the way you described bother sir and Mr. Joseph i have a mental image of them and its really cool. Mr. Joseph sounds amazing and i'm happy you were able to see the good in something that initially could have seemed bad. Keep up to good work mr. optimistic!
Post a Comment